Thursday, July 18, 2013

Datsun 620 fuel filter problem

So I just got my 1975 Datsun and have put fuel in it twice. The first time I put in $10 from the gas station down the street, turned the truck on, and drove home. The second time I put $20 from the Chevron across town, turn it on, the truck shut off on my way home, turned it back on and struggled to get home driving. I finally made it. I looked under my hood and I have no fuel filter! I won't drive it anymore until this is fixed.

Also, my engine will not stay on unless I keep pressing the gas pedal, so there must be something clogging my carburetor.

This picture is from a forum but shows the location of the fuel filter, right there by the corner of the battery.



Mine has a piece of tube which I don't think does that great of a job (See picture below).





Here is a picture of the fuel system I found online:
This is how my system looks installed:
The filter is attached to the inlet of the mechanical fuel pump as shown. Please do not make the same mistake I did and think the fuel pump was inside the tank. The thing shown here is the mechanical fuel pump. It is mechanical, not electrical.

This is a closer look:
The part number is FF3402DL and I found it at Autozone 

Use hoses that are 1/4 inch in diameter (inner diameter), I accidentally bought 5/16 and was too loose. 1/4 is perfect.

Also look at this previous picture (the one with the filter). Please somebody tell me if you have managed to have the transparent tank more than halfways full. I expected it to be full but I either get 1/4 of the transparent tank or 1/2, but never full. Is this normal?

This is the filter while empty.

Also I learned about a pre-filter system or pre filter. I found one at Autozone but they call it "performance" fuel filter. its just a fuel filter in their performance isle which you can remove the inside filter. When I buy it I'll post it here.

Also, note that I was expecting the fuel pressure to shoot fuel out of the lines when disconnecting them. This did not happen. The mechanical pump sucks fuel from the tank, and does not push it. There is not pressure accumulated in the line where the filter is attached to. Please slap me for that. Just disconect the lines, don't be afraid

By the way, I fixed my problem. Im sure it was the fuel filter, but while I was at it, I ended up replacing the plugs, oil and oil filter, and even adding an additive to the fuel (Mystery Oil). Oh, and I broke my breather hose. I need a new one.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog post, informative list. Thanks so much. I’m enjoying devouring your site!!
    Gas Filtration

    ReplyDelete