Thursday, July 18, 2013

How to change the Breather filter on a 1975 Datsun 620

This post is about how I changed the Breather filter on my Datsun. If you have any questions please let me know. This is also the first thing I've documented on my truck.


I replaced the filter or sponge that captures the oil that leaves the valve cover going into the air filter tray. I bought it at Autozone and had to cut a small piece so it would fit:
 The part number on it is BF1209DL.
Here you can see the old sponge filter full of old oil. Also, you can see the leftover piece of sponge, and the new one installed. The new sponge is more fat, so I had to stuff it in the small compartment gently using my scissors.

I originally made the mistake of calling the metal tube coming out of the valve cover a "PCV valve". Please note that this is incorrect. It is the "Breather Tube". I have read that you can just attach a small filter at the end to fix it if you ever brake it. Please read this on the Ratsun forums:
http://community.ratsun.net/topic/43794-help-with-an-l20b-breather-question/

1 comment:

  1. If you ate a diehard O'Reilly guy it is typically a special order for that piece of filter material. However if you get part number 46976 (Micro Gard crankcase air filter) you can also cut it down and works a charm.

    ReplyDelete